Tuesday, May 11, 2010

S: Long Weekend - Short Trip

Yesterday, I returned from an AMAZING long weekend in Florida with Guy and his son. The trip was perfect…aside from being way too short. I was so sad to leave them after only a couple of days. They are staying for the whole week, but I had to come home to work. Cursed self-employment with no paid vacation! If I could have changed my ticket and stayed the whole week with them, I would have. And almost did.

In fact, Guy offered to pay to change it AND pay for the job I would have had to pass on this week to stay. He gets silly like that. I love that sometimes he’ll do anything to spend time with me. And I’m glad he didn’t regret bringing me along.

We really were having the best time. Traveling together went smoothly with no frustration or tension. He’s not a huge fan of flying so it was really sweet to hold his hand while we took off and landed. His son held on too, to make him feel better. One of the many illustrations of us working as a unit.

We stayed in a cute cottage with a pool and lots of lizards to chase. We were a block away from a gorgeous beach and a breathtaking view of the ocean. We spent plenty of time at the beach playing in the ocean, digging in the sand, finding shells and soaking up the sun. The three of us also had some fun one night splashing and throwing each other around in the pool. I had other ideas for the pool, but we ran out of time for those. Next year.

That was the name of the game. Next year. Everything I am missing out on this year, I am determined to be around for next year. No more “long weekend” bahookey. Next year I’m going for the entire trip. Vacation with my two fellas is too great to miss out on.

And speaking of missing…

Now we have to struggle through the rest of the week apart. I just know it’s going to suck. It already does. As soon as he dropped me at the airport, I wished he were with me. After the trip out with them, traveling alone was a bummer. Nobody to take care of. Nobody to tickle. No giggling.

And I’ve spent all the time away thinking about what they are doing throughout their day. “Now they’re at the beach.” “Now they’re making dinner.” “Now they’re watching the sunset.” Etc.

To top it all off, Guy’s phone reception is bad there, so communication is at a minimum. I have to wait hours to hear from him and we can’t really talk. It just stinks. I miss him. Last night, as I was composing yesterday’s post, all I could think of was that I should be over at his place neglecting my work to watch him fold laundry and be all domestic. Or sending him text messages from the other room telling him he’s too far away.

Now he really is too far away.

I guess there’s something fun about wanting someone around so much. But I do wonder when that will go away. Does it have to go away? Does it always go away? I’ve had it go away before. The not missing of someone when he was far away was one of the triggers for the end of my engagement, so it worries me that it is looming in the future of this relationship as well.

Sidebar…speaking of future…had a fun little moment during the trip (well, there were many…this was just one of them). We were driving across the island to get to the grocery store for food and beer and Guy was telling me how he wished he could retire there. He said it wasn’t likely as he didn’t make enough money to have saved the funds to do so by retirement age. Then he said, “Unless you make it big…”

Eeeek…is it just me or did he allude to retiring with me? And shouldn’t I be freaked out by that after only 3 months? But I wasn’t. I LIKED it. Gave me a nice, cozy, satisfied feeling. Oddly enough.

Anyway…I have to wonder if I will always miss him like this or if this will eventually wear off. And if it does, what does that mean? Does it mean I don’t love him and we shouldn’t be together? Or is it ok? Is it just an evolution of sorts? I don’t want to be co-dependent, but I want to need him to be around. I like that I miss him.

It was nice to be staying on an island, but I don’t want to BE an island.

He’s very much worth attaching to.

You’d understand if you’d just spent a few days with him on the beach. Without his shirt on. Yummy.

Crap. Now I miss him even more. Is it Friday yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment