Sunday, February 7, 2010

S: Sporting Chance - upDATE

Today is Super Bowl Sunday. In just moments I am heading out the door. I have two parties to go to. And, as you know, as part of my get-a-February-guy strategy, I have had to determine which is my best option for meeting potential dates.

This is weird.

I do not choose social activities based on whether or not I’ll be able to find a date at them. And I never walk out the door thinking, “Gee I really hope I can pick up a guy.”


Ever.


Earlier this week, I stooped so low as to grill my friend who is hosting the party where I think I may have prospects (Yes, I’m a prospector now...say hello to Yosemite Sheila) about who he thought would be there and whether or not it would behoove me to show up. No lie.


I don’t even know me any more.


He said there may be two guys there for me to consider. Although, his wife says there’s a reason both of these guys are single and that he would never have fixed me up with them normally and he takes no responsibility for them and makes no guarantees as to their fitness for dating, but since I’m so desperate for a date this month, he will offer them up as possibilities. He will not vouch for them as decent fellows for a girl to date, though he loves them dearly as friends. This is what I’ve come to.


Heavens to Mergatroid! Is that what I’ve become? Desperate? Sadface!


Desperate never gets dates. I must cover the stench. And fast. Where’s the Febreeze?

But I MUST find a February. My sisters in dating have both already had their February dates and I still have no possibilities on the horizon.

So, my pal said he would call me if they showed so I could leave the other party (where I will get to hang with old buddies, but likely not find any date options) and come over and meet them.


“Quick! Come over! There are boys here!”


O…M…G…this challenge is going to be the end of me.


At this point, I have decided to start at the prospecting party. Get the Yosemite Sheila stuff out of the way. I know that one of the “undatables” has RSVP’d, so hopefully he’s there in the beginning and I can get my flirt on and see if there’s anything there. Then I can move on to the other party and catch up with the friends I haven’t seen in a while and try to regain my self-respect (and, more importantly, partake of some much needed, delicious, home-brewed beer). The good news is that starting with the prospecting will create the perfect opportunity for “I’d love to continue this conversation, but I really have to go. Wanna get together for coffee or a drink sometime?”


I hope.


Because if this doesn’t work…I don’t know what I’ll do. Probably walk around downtown wearing a sandwich board that says, “I’m Sheila and I need a date. I promise not to spill on you.”


Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting today ladies. This is much more entertainging than the Half Time "Show". I can't wait to hear how your parties go.

    ReplyDelete