Sunday, September 19, 2010

J: Dear Mr. October: Beat it!

I just kissed Mr. September good morning and goodbye. He’s on the way to the airport right now and will be gone for an entire week.

Yes people, I JUST said goodbye. (And yes, it really is this early in the morning.)

I’ve said it before…I’ll say it again…this guy is amazing!

My return home from my own business trip was delayed due to weather so I didn’t actually make it back into town until around noon on Friday…a day later than expected. When we landed, waiting for me was a text from him, asking if I had made it home safely. I texted back letting him know that the plane had just landed and asking him if he was available for lunch…which he was….so, travel weary and exhausted, I met him for lunch (it was, afterall, on the way home…ish). He had a meeting right after lunch and I had to get home to catch up on my own email and was dying for a nap so while it wasn’t a long lunch, it was still great to see him & good to catch up.

That same night, I had my standing monthly Pinochle plans, but also made plans to meet up with a friend for drinks first. When Mr. September called to see if I was feeling any better after a nap, and with the encouragement of my friend, I invited him to join us.

Yes, that’s right…I subjected him to the first meet-the-friend test! And while their time only overlapped for 15 minutes or so…he passed the test, she passed the test, they both got along splendidly and I considered the second date of the day with my Mr. September a huge success.

We had made tentative plans for Saturday but needed to line up the where & when so he asked me to call him after I was done with my evening-no matter how late. So, happily, I did. And despite the fact that I had been exhausted just 5 minutes earlier…despite the fact that I was hours and hours short on sleep…despite the fact that I had already seen him TWICE that day, I ended up agreeing to meet him for a moonlight walk.

Our conversation on that walk was amazing. We talked about his child and their relationship and his perspective regarding dating as a single father. We talked about our families and our divorces. We talked about own individual faith journeys. We talked about dating in general, and most importantly, we talked about the fact that neither of us really has any desire to date anyone else. (Yippeee!!!)

With our third date of the day being such a success, he somehow was able to talk me into spending the night. (It was amazing, by the way…but that’s another post for another day!)

Our Saturday together was super easy & casual with no firm plans…just chilling out, watching a movie, shopping for a Kindle for his trip, watching him pack, grilling out on his back porch, and lots and lots of snuggling. Around 10pm, when I was starting getting ready to leave (he needed enough sleep to be able to get up at the butt-crack of dawn for today’s early morning flight) he asked me to stay another night…which I did. How could I resist? He was just so dern cute! And I was just so dern tired. And he was going to be gone for a whole week!!!

So…here we are. And, I probably know what you’re thinking. I’m thinking it too. If I were to guess, I would say that he’s thinking it as well: we’re moving this along very very quickly. The running joke of the weekend was: “How long have I known you again?” But neither one of us wants it to stop.

The thing is…we’re just so amazingly compatible. We’re so comfortable. We’ve talked about relationships and religion and politics and pet peeves and careers and families and favorite ice cream. He thinks I’m sexy, just as I am…and somehow, he makes me believe it too. I think he’s absolutely amazing and I love the way his mind works. He’s told me several times that he doesn’t understand why I’m still single. I feel the exact same way about him.

I am so so happy I gave in and finally joined an online dating site and I am so so happy that he was the one to find me in the middle of all of that craziness. How did I get this lucky?

And, in the midst of all of our other conversation thoroughout the weekend, I also told him about this dating experiment. His response was to ask me not to find a Mr. October. :)

We haven’t talked about November or December. And that’s okay. I don’t want to go there yet. As much as we’ve rushed the beginning, I don’t want to start projecting into the future and end up with broken dreams. I figure, a month is entirely reasonable (and hopefully safe) amount of “look-forward” time.

So, for right now, this very minute, I just want this week to fly by. I need to have him back within kissing range.

No comments:

Post a Comment