Monday, April 12, 2010

J: When worlds collide

On Thursday I sent an email to my circle of single friends extending an invitation to join one of my Gal pals & I out dancing on Friday.

Yes, Dancing boy was on the list. I actually expected him to be there…Friday’s his normal night for dancing. I debated over whether to include him or not, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt to let him know a group of us were planning to be there. He never responded to my email.

At one point, Running boy had also expressed an interest in learning to dance so of course, he was on the list as well. He emailed me back that same day, letting me know that he would be there, but just for the lessons since he already had dinner plans.

And he actually showed up!

It was Running boy’s very first lesson so of course he was no match for Dancing boy’s years of experience. But he was there. He was learning. And after the lesson, he stuck around and we ended up getting into a really great discussion about the whole lead-follow/male-female/tension-response dynamic that is such an important element of a great dance partnership, and how closely it parallels real life.

As our conversation began to wind down I glanced over and noticed that Dancing boy had finally shown up and was chatting with my Gal pal. Running boy and Dancing boy apparently knew each other as well so we went over and the four of us played the “here’s how we all know each other” game. Interesting.

Running boy & my Gal pal started on a conversational tangent at which point Dancing boy swept me onto the dance floor. About half way though the song, Gal pal shouted to catch my attention & let me know that Running boy was leaving. I completely abandoned Dancing boy on the dance floor, ran over, gave Running boy a hug and told him I was glad that he came out and then flew back to Dancing boy’s waiting arms, to finish the song.

I felt a little awkward though for (a) interrupting a dance with one for a hug with the other and conversely (b) not saying a better goodbye and thanking & acknowledging Running boy for completely stepping out of his comfort zone to join the fun. But my wonderful gal pal says that I handled both situations just fine.

The rest of the night was a blast. I had made up my mind to wait for Dancing boy to ask me to dance (instead of asking him, as I often had done in the past.) And he did ask! Many times! And…not just that, he also texted me after he left.

We’ve already established that the Dancing one has intimacy issues. I’ve seen that he seems to be more interested in me the less that I’m interested in him. Maybe a little bit of jealousy did some good?

Maybe?

Maybe not. I’m still doing my best not to put any hopes on him. I know that my energy is much better spent, focused elsewhere.

And now, maybe Running boy has caught the dancing bug too. I promised to send him info on the next free classes. Mmm…another reason to keep those boots polished and ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment