Monday, March 29, 2010

J: The unattainable Running one

Over the past couple of months I've been training to run in a local 10K race (6.2 miles). Tomorrow is the night my training group has our track workout. That means that tomorrow I get to see the other boy that I've been calling "unattainable".

I'm not completely sure why I think of him that way. He's been perfectly friendly and very approachable. When I mentioned that I was going to start training for my next triathlon, he even talked about finding a time to get in a swimming workout together. SWIMMING! (eek!) And then when I told him about everything that happened with my pup, he listened so patiently and said all the right things and even offered to "be available if I ever need to talk."

All these things say "attainable" and yet, he still has that (oh-so-appealing) "unattainable" aura about him.

Maybe I feel that way because I know he's only ever been around Not-Cute-Jane...sweaty and beat down after a long run.

Maybe because I’ve heard through the grapevine that he just got out of a multi-year relationship…in January.

Maybe because he's super fit...and I'm…ummm…let‘s say...working on being super fit.

Maybe because I know him from church and those boys can sometimes be confusing. (Is he just really friendly or actually interested but just taking things super slooooow?)

Or maybe it's just because I've been flirty but he hasn't made any moves to actually ask me out.

Whatever it is, something in me is telling me that he most likely isn't going to be my Mr. April. I gotta listen to what my intuition is telling me and that makes me a little sad….and also intrigued, unfortunately.


At this point, I'm not going to go after him and risk pushing him away. I just get the feeling that would be a bad move with this one. My plan is to flirt and drop hints that I'd be open to spending more time together...even if it means in a swimsuit (ugh). I'll be patient and let him do the boy thing and chase me. And in the meantime, I'll work on another Mr. April and do my best to keep myself from obsessing over this one.

So, while I’m not necessarily hopeful for April, I’m still looking forward to tomorrow’s interaction. And you better believe that I'm planning to show up as ready-for-a-track-workout-cute as I can reasonably get!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm....maybe invite the group out for a post workout beer? Of course encourage him to come. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the great thing about this group...there's always dinner plans after the Tuesday workout and breakfast after the Saturday morning run. The tacos are the real reason I run. ;)

    I actually might not have really noticed him were it not for our conversation during one of those dinners.

    Belive me sister, I'm gonna keep working every chance I get to hang out with this one!

    ReplyDelete