Saturday, February 27, 2010

J: Rejection 101.2

Well…no more avoiding the inevitable.

I got another date request from Suitor #8.


So, I decided against the ignore-him-and-hope-that-he-gets-the-message method and chose to go with a more direct route. With this decision made, it was officially time to let they guy know that I wasn’t interested in going out again.

According to the informal guy poll I quickly ran, 100% of all guys questioned (both of them) said it was important that my message leave no room for doubt. I should make sure that it cut to the chase with no room for interpretation and no ‘flowery’ language allowed.

So after typing in the message and obsessing over the wording and struggling to hit the “send” button, I finally sent: “Thanks for the invite. I’m just not interested in a dating relationship.”

While I enjoyed the feeling of relief that immediately rushed through my body I didn’t enjoy the guilt that came along with it. Was I too harsh? Was it strong enough…maybe he’d interpret it wrong? Did I hurt his feelings? Maybe a little flowery stuff would have been better?

Within the hour, I had a message back. It went something like: “Ok thats fine. I understand. I had a great time meeting you. You're a great person, wished it would’ve worked out. Best of luck to you.”

Aaaah…guilt.

Guys have it so much easier. They never have to send a rejection message. They can just stop calling.

No comments:

Post a Comment