Wednesday, March 3, 2010

S: Spinster License Revoked

It is 3 in the morning and I have just returned from another fantastic evening with Eligible Bachelor, aka Mr. February. It is dangerous for the two of us to spend time together because it flies by so quickly that I’m afraid we will age prematurely.

I know I should first post some cute story about our date in February, you know…the official Date Club Date, and I even have one started about how sweet he was and how much fun we had and how easy it was for us to talk and how I of course spilled because I’m an embarrassment to myself and how the date went on for 6 hours and neither of us wanted it to end, but I don’t want to waste time on that. I’m skipping past it. It’s boring.

This is the juicy stuff.

Suffice it to say that our date went well, as evidenced by the fact that I haven’t been able to stop spending time with him since then.

Me.

The confirmed spinster.

The one who didn’t want to get into a relationship. The one who wanted to play the field and see if she could get 12 guys to go out with her. The one who wanted to have the most amazing year figuring out how to be good at dating. The one who very much likes walking alone.

I am totally sunk. He caught me completely off guard. I’m wrecked. I am a disgrace to the name of spinsterhood.

And I don’t care.

This is too much fun. I can’t get enough of him. Just when I think I want him to give me some space, I’m finding a reason to get out so I can be available for lunch. Just when I think I’m going to stay home and get some things done (like working on Date Club posts) and maybe get some sleep, I’m trying to figure out how soon I can get over to his place, knowing full well that I will not just stay for the two hours I have allotted.

Of course, this is not the plan. He was just supposed to be one date in one month out of one year. And now I just got home from seeing him for the I-can’t-count-how-many’th time in 2 weeks and I can’t wait to see him again. I actually miss him right now.

And the unbelievable part is that he can’t wait to see me again. He’s trying so hard not to crowd me but then he can’t help himself and he invites me over. And I can’t help myself so I go over. We talk…and stuff…and then BAM 5 hours is gone, and the circles under my eyes get darker while the smile on my face gets wider. All the time wondering what he has done to me to make me like him so much so fast.

Oh, and the issue of the physical displays of affection? Gone. I am totally past it. He played that one just right. He caught on early and started giving me lip about my “5 foot buffer” and then somehow it turned into a challenge to see which one of us could stay out of the other’s safety zone the longest. It took him until about 4 a.m. the next night we got together to throw the game and bust through the buffer and kiss me (followed by a cheeky “I lost.”) And thank goodness he did, because we are not going back. Buffer zones need not apply. Kiss early and kiss often.

I am one lucky Sheila, that’s all I can say.

This part is just the most fun. I love it. This is the exciting time when you can’t get enough of each other. When everything is new and unexpected. Every story. Every look. Every kiss. Every compliment. Every move. All different from any in the past. All ever more alluring. There are so many possibilities at this time and everything is just so electric.

And now is the time when all the good traits completely overshadow any of the possible bad ones. When this new person is everything all the others were not. Every detail is more unbelievable than the last. And, let me tell you, there are some fine qualities here. He’s a gentleman…who is so cute about the things he can’t say in my presence. He’s secure…he doesn’t need me to constantly validate my interest in him. He’s confident… I can call him names and he doesn’t get upset he just dishes back. He’s mature…he just knows how to be a grown up. He’s playful…meaning he doesn’t always have to be a grown up. He’s genuine…no games, what you see is what you get.

And he’s totally into me. Oh Em Gee is he ever into me. (This man saw me in a hat just out of bed when he came over and shoveled and he still can’t get enough of me. Case closed.) He wants to see me all the time. He gets excited when we make plans and tries to find excuses for us to get together. He thinks I’m beautiful and tells me so regularly. He wants to find out what I need in a relationship and make sure he’s providing it. He listens. He’s attentive. He appreciates me for who I am, even when I freak him out. He goes out of his way to do stuff for me and never asks or expects anything in return. He just wants to make me happy.

And did I mention that he’s H-O-T hot?

Hummanuh hummanuh…weak in the knees…hot.

He says I’m in better shape than him and he works out extra hard now to keep up with me. But the truth is that he’s in better shape than I and now I have to work out extra hard to catch up to him. Which means, if nothing else, we’ll both end up in great shape when it’s all over. And that can’t be bad. Right?

Yes, eventually there will be a post about all the things that aren’t great about him and why it didn’t work out. In fact, this is the point at which I start calculating how much the inevitable ripping apart is going to cost me emotionally. We have reached the point of no return and will now go “to the Pain” (to quote from The Princess Bride). Meaning the longer we continue and the deeper it gets, the more it will hurt when it ends, but we decide that it’s worth it for the greatness that is the right now. The Pain is later. The great is right now. We live in the now.

This is insanity. I mean, how sad is it that the spinster of the group didn’t last even two months in this challenge? Of course, I still have to decide about March, but I find myself enjoying what’s happening right now so much, that it may well be worth a ten dollar boost for the Piggy just to keep seeing him in good conscience.

There is, however, a more difficult decision to make as we get more involved. When and how do I tell him about the challenge and the blog? And how will he react?

I wasn’t really prepared for this.

I’m ruined. Absolutely ruined.

You can take my badge, but please let me keep the cats.

3 comments:

  1. You go girl and don't start thinking negative already! You just prove that this is how love should happen...unexpectedly! You were the one out of the group who wasn't looking for it the least bit! Cash in your bucks and go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GO GIRL! He's already seen you in a hat after you "just rolled out of bed"...awesome! The worst is over... Now all he has to do is see you in your bathing suit...and you're home free. :) Enjoy...but don't tell him about the blog. I know it's tough when you're tipsy, but zip it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Sheila! We all secretly hope to drop out of this challenge sometime during the year. ;)

    ReplyDelete