Tuesday, February 16, 2010

S: Snagging Mr. February - upDATE 2 - Snagged

Kick those heels up, Dateketeers! I have achieved February! Eligible Bachelor finally asked me out.

What a relief!

I'm so glad I made my friend introduce us. I would have definitely gone out with EB, even if I wasn’t required by Club Code to do so. He's just been so fun to banter with and was so cute about asking for the date in a totally non-needy sort of way. I mean, is this guy made of butter or what?! (You know, because he's smooth, not because he resembles churned animal excretions.)

And I’m just as unusually giddy as I could be. I am sad for you that you could not witness me dancing around my kitchen singing “I didn’t have to do the asking. I didn’t have to do the asking.” It was certainly a sight to see. The cats could attest to that.

This date challenge just got way more fun. I can’t remember the last time I was actually excited to have someone ask me out...when I last waited and waited, hoping that he would ask and then got to be ecstatic when he finally did. Somehow it never seems to work that way for me. But not this time. This time, I met, I flirted, I messaged, I conquered.

He dug my chili. He l’eggoed my Eggo. He texted me out.

There will be bowling.

Here’s how it went down. He made several suggestions for dates and I, being a glutton for punishment, chose bowling. I had my reasons. Very good reasons. Pragmatic, logistical reasons. And now you get to read them.

He suggested a movie, but I don’t think movies are good for first dates. You can’t talk and get to know each other. Besides, if you go to a movie before you are physically comfortable with each other, there’s all that weirdness with hand and snack holding and arm rests and stuff. Best to leave the movies for later when there isn’t a lot to talk about and you just want to sit in the dark and hold hands and make out and pretend like you’re doing something really naughty.

He suggested sledding, creative…different, but no. I’m so sick of snow right now that sledding would only anger me and allow him to have a glimpse at my demonic hellish side as I careen down an icy hill screaming out every combination of curse words I know, and making up a few new ones for the benefit of the children within earshot. That and being self-employed makes me very paranoid about getting injured and being unable to work. Sledding is right out.

He also suggested ice skating, which sounds fun but would be rather chilly where we are. I do not wish to spend the entirety of our first date wiping snot off my face like some kind of Play-Doh Fun Factory. And, truth be told, it would probably be more embarrassing than fun since I’m not so good at it. I’m not so good at bowling either, but there is way less falling down. Most of the time.

Bowling is good. Bowling is fun. Bowling is casual. Bowling is inexpensive. And bowling allows for get-to-know-you talking, but with a distraction to cover any lulls in conversation. It also provides a reason for good-natured mud slinging if you are both secure in your lack of skill. AND, bowling accommodates beer and junk food consumption. Anything that I can do while enjoying a brew and something full of sodium and cholesterol is my kind of date.

Of course, we got the activity figured out quickly enough and then the difficulty came in the form of schedule negotiations. Both of us are rather social, so finding a good time was not easy to do. However, I was glad that I was not readily available, so I didn't appear as though I have no life. For a brief period, I was nervous that we might not be able to even make a February date work. But, it all worked out. We settled on a school night. This is good actually. I mostly work on my own time so it isn’t likely to matter to me how late we stay out and he promised to take a nap in the afternoon so his curfew could be later. And this way neither of us will end up being tempted to hit the pitcher too hard and lose our cool. Or our pants.

I predict that this will prove to be one fun night. I can just tell already. Even this early in the game, he gives me as much crap as I give him. It’s been a while since I’ve had someone I can play with. There is something very appealing about a man who is confident enough not to take himself too seriously.

Now I just have to worry about what I should wear. And not dropping the ball on my foot or dribbling nacho cheese all over myself. And what I will do if I actually want to keep seeing him. I mean, wonder of wonders, I actually kind of like the guy. He plays. He’s fun. He’s older. He’s secure. He’s got a life. And he seems to dig me.

What happens if I want to continue to date him?

Ok, Sheila. One rented shoe step at a time.

Current score:
Sheila = 2
Piggy Bank = 0

No comments:

Post a Comment