Saturday, January 30, 2010

S: A Sporting Chance

I find myself with a unique dilemma. I am once again in uncharted territory on this little dating expedition.

I have been invited to 2 Super Bowl parties. Multiple party invites is not unusual. What’s unusual is the way I must choose between them.

The first is a party held by a friend every year. I was expecting to attend this party and have even already replied to the invite. I know, based on past experiences, there will be good, home brewed, beer and a lot of laughs. I will see several friends I have not seen for a while. And one friend in particular who I spent a good deal of time with a year or so ago, but whom I’ve not connected with in a while. I miss him and have been looking forward to catching back up and getting back on the friend track.

This sounds like a perfectly good party and I’ve already said I’d go, so, why consider not going, you ask? (Well, that’s what the voices in my head are asking anyway. Right before they ask about how much wood a woodchuck could chuck, provided that woodchuck could chuck wood. My voices need a hobby.)

Here’s why. The second party is being held by a friend who is always trying to fix me up with someone, so, here’s the real kicker, I know there will likely be more opportunities for date possibilities at this party. And someone there who would be trying to create those opportunities for me. If I were to attend this party, my chances of finding my February would increase, I am sure.

Never before would I have be based a decision on such factors. But now I have a challenge before me, along with a short month and no possibilities presenting themselves as of yet.

I do not want to completely skip the first party, but perhaps I should split my time. Although, I’m not sure how this would work. I don’t want to miss all the good commercials or all the good snacks. Also, if I’m going to have a beer or two, I’d rather not be doing a lot of driving around for a while. And what if I’m getting along with someone and then just have to ditch the whole thing to get somewhere else? Furthermore, and this would be tragic, what if I show up late in the game (literally) and the beer is gone?

Do you see how this might get complicated? This is just so abnormal. I never used to plan my social activities with these considerations in mind. I now must carefully decide where I go based on what my chances of finding a date are. I guess it will be a while before anyone sees me at a convent or a monastery. (O.k., that wasn’t ever going to happen, but now it’s REALLY not happening.)

In the end, I believe I will attend the first party. I know it will be fun and I’ve said I would be there. Fun is still important. As are old friends. As is home brewed beer. And, who knows, maybe there will be some fresh meat there. Or, maybe I’ll decide I need an out at some point and make my way to the other festivities. Probably if the beer or chip dip runs out. The beauty of being single is that I can go wherever the wind carries me and I don’t need anyone else’s permission to do so. Maybe I’ll show up at your party too. If you promise to get me a date.

1 comment:

  1. Girl...

    I have been in your shoes!! Here's my advice. Spend the first quarter at the FIRST party....but tell them in advance you may have to leave early b/c you accidently overbooked. Only drink one microbrew... :)

    But go to the second party! You "old friends" will understand. They want you to meet the man of your dreams too. Who cares if you miss the second round of fritos and dip?

    That's my opinion for what's it worth...either way have a blast!

    ReplyDelete