Thursday, January 28, 2010

E: I'm gearin' up...

Tomorrow is the day! My first date of the month, year, and decade, for that matter. Wow, this guy has no idea the pressure. LOL. I am very much looking forward to meeting this one. Phone convos have gone good, however, he teasingly (is that a word) refers to himself as "January." Still can't believe my friend told her friend who told him that; doesn't that go against some girl code or something?! Anyway, I think he gets a kick out of it and for whatever reason it hasn't turned him off so i guess that's a good thing. I had an epiphany yesterday, though, an "aha" moment so to speak. He asked me if i wanted to meet him at the restaurant or for him to pick me up. (Pick Me UP?!) You would have thought he had said want to board my jet to Paris for the weekend or something equally unbelievable. It was at that moment I realized that in all of 2009 I had never had even ONE date pick me up at my place. This was not of my choice - I'm an old fashioned gal who thinks its nice when a guy picks you up. I am not worried about serial killers - I had a sheltered upbringing and am still naive and it doesn't bother me in the least to have a friend of a friend come pick me up. I just hadn't gone out with any guys last year (9 in all) who picked me up like a real date. In their defense, a lot of them lived out of state so I did the picking up at the airport, but that is another topic for another day. (damn that online dating!) I didn't know how to respond, so I asked where he lived because I didn't want him to go out of his way. He said it really doesn't matter, he will pick me up from anywhere, except maybe ______(insert name of town here that is 1 1/2 hours south). What a nice fellow. I am impressed already.

The epiphany struck when I realized how much i appreciated this small chivalrous gesture. Wow, no wonder my recent dating has seemed "less than." Oh how lucky is the guy who falls for me, because I will appreciate every little thing he does. Score one for this dude, and he doesn't even know it yet. Besides, now I can have an extra margarita because I'm not driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment