Sunday, January 24, 2010

E: Mr. January is in the bag....I think

7 Days left in January and I still have not gone on my date! I cannot, WILL NOT set the stage to be a date club loser. I'd rather spend that $10 on make up, thank you very much. Although most of my make up costs more than $10...but that's beside the point. I must confess I frantically reached out to a few friends last week who have the best potential to set me up. I told one friend (with whom I have confided previous dating disasters) that it was a new year, and I am challenging myself to go out on at least 1 date per month. I knew she would like to hear that. Also, it gave her a sense of urgency to get me the date right away.

And she came through, as I suspected! Mr. January is a friend of her friend, and he called me last night (thank God for small miracles). We chatted on the phone for a bit, and somewhere in the conversation he remarked "I'll be your January!" HU-MIL-I-A-TION!!! I can't believe my friend told her friend who told him about my challenge! Moreover, I can't believe he called me anyway, knowing about my state of dating patheticness.

This is way out of my comfort zone, because although I am really looking forward to the date, I know next to nothing about him. The only details: He lives in my town, is 6'5 with sandy blond hair and plays beach volleyball. (so far, me likey!) But I don't know his age or what he does for a living, and for some reason that really bothers me! In a previous life I would have used those stats to size up a man to see if he fit my "dating standards." Not so anymore - this is the new Elle - and I am throwing my pre-conceived notions to the side.

One thing, he mentioned he likes country dancing. Giddyup! Even though I'm not Jane from the South, I too enjoy the HonkyTonk BaDonka Donk. So we've got commonality already...

As an aside, I had dinner with a dear friend on Friday night and was telling her my urgency to book Mr. January. After we left the restaurant that rascal told me she secretly passed my phone number to our waiter before we left!! Isn't it great to have friends who look after you?

No comments:

Post a Comment