Sunday, November 28, 2010

J: Cruisin' Connection

Soooo…I know after my last post, this won’t surprise you: I ended up having a ‘Love Boat’ experience of my very own with my piano man.

Apparently, meeting someone on vacation is not like meeting someone in real life.

Suddenly, you’re faced with a situation where you know that once the week's over, you’re never going to see the other person again….or at least it’s highly unlikely that your paths will ever cross. And in addition to the lack of a future, the time that you have together in the present is exceptionally limited, requiring the courtship process to speed along at a breakneck pace.

I saw “short-term-fun-time” when I looked into his eyes. I didn’t see either of us making wedding plans or naming our 2.5 children. So all the compliments & appreciation he showered on me was enjoyable instead of freaking me out & driving me away (as Mr. October’s did).

Plus, I had the added benefit of ‘dating’ a star of the ship. We hung out with his dueling-piano buddies when we were out and everywhere we went, they were showered with compliments and adoration and free drinks. These guys were seriously good! (Even my dad, at one point, proudly told me about his encounter with ‘the piano guys’ at lunch one day and how excited he was to get to chat with them. Little did he know…) ;)

And, due to being a performer on the ship and paid by the cruiseline, my piano guy was officially “staff”. So, in addition to the excitement of hanging with a ‘celebrity’ I also got the thrill of sneaking around, Dirty Dancing style since he was basically putting his job on the line by ‘fraternizing with a guest’.

As the week wound to a close, we exchanged phone numbers (and last names). And, believe it or not, since disembarking, we have actually texted. We also have an understanding that if he ever ends up in my city, he’ll give me a call.

But, I’m not holding my breath. I’m not waiting by the phone.

It was what it was. And that’s all that it was. And that’s all that it will be.

And both of us understood that without a word being said.

There’s no obsessing.

There’s no rejection.

There’s no playing out the relationship into the future...wondering about Christmas plans, or whether his family would like me, or wondering how to deal with all that baggage from previous relationships.

There's no freaking out about why he hasn't called.

And, those red flags? No matter!

It was just enjoying the moment, in the moment, for what it was.

And it was fantastic!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment